AIMS is committed to reducing its carbon footprint and mitigating unavoidable emissions. We do this in the following ways:
Whether working at the AIMS office or from home, all Associates are expected to:
- Minimize air travel to the extent feasible for effective implementation of all contracts. Practices include:
- Using video conferencing technology to enable high-quality virtual meetings with clients, partners and colleagues.
- Combining travel for field missions as feasible.
- Using regionally-based Associates as feasible.
- Beginning in 2016, when air travel is necessary, Associates will purchase carbon offsets if this option is available.
The AIMS office is powered by renewable energy.
- Reduce paper consumption by only printing documents if absolutely necessary.
- When hard-copies are required, print on recycled paper (or paper sourced from renewable sources), recycle waste paper, print double-sided copies and in black as feasible.
AIMS actively pursues contracts that provide opportunities to contribute to reducing the impact of climate change and increasing awareness of environmental issues, i.e. undertaking the development of the 10-year Strategy of the UN Convention to Combat Desertification.
AIMS recruits Associates with a strong personal commitment to environmental issues. Over 50% teach, research, publish, professionally practice, and/or have advanced degrees in environment studies.